25 September 2012

3 Years Later

3 years later.

The loss of my Dad is a part of me and always will be. The sadness strikes me still at unpredictable moments. I suspect that will always happen. But it's not just about my loss. It is also about you because chances are you knew my Dad, and you have stories and memories about him. And you miss him in your own way.

Don't ever lose those stories. Share them.
Don't tuck them away, but remember them with others, and laugh.

I love to remember my Dad. Share stories with me, for I want to hear about your impressions and thoughts. It may be hard sometimes, to remember, because it brings back that sweeping feeling of loss and sadness, but when I think about how my Dad is in heaven, I know he is okay, and I will see him again one day.

There are many stories I could tell just from the travel we did as a family. I love that my parents took our whole family on many trips! With four kids in tow, I honestly don't know how they did it. But we went to some amazing places (Georgia, the Carolinas, New York, Pennsylvania, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Washington, Canada, New Hampshire, Massachusetts), and I will never forget these trips. Since I am such a lover of travel, these memories are especially poignant to me.

One little thing about my Dad that I will always remember is how whenever we went to a museum or monument or anything that has exhibits and things to read, Dad would read every sign, every posting, every story, everything. It was normal for him to always lag behind the group, engrossed in learning about whatever he was reading. As young kids, we always had to tug him along, and my Mom would have to go back to get him because he would be in a different room. And now, I think of this every single time I am in a museum or exhibit. And you know what? I find myself reading all the signs, all the postings......

Victoria, Canada
Hiking to our favorite tree in North Carolina
One of our many camping trips in North Carolina or Georgia with the Remo Family
A family trip out west. We drove all over the place!
The last trip with Dad- July 2009. Evidence of him finding something to read no matter where, even at the highest point to drive to in Yosemite, overlooking his favorite site, Half Dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment