21 November 2012

Practise and Fail

In that sense there are no practising Christians, but only Christians who, in varying degrees, try to practise it and fail in varying degrees and then start again.
-C.S. Lewis


Soundtrack for this post: Bebo Norman, Collide. From his new album, this song is my favorite (especially this acoustic version)
Listen here

Do you ever feel like you have failed with anything? It hits me every now and then, which I know is only going to bring me down if I focus on it, but I can't help but feel it sometimes. Missed opportunities come to mind, periods of complacency, days lacking in prayers, not loving others like I should, etc... Efforts to pray more always start well, then wane. My prayers should be more focused and frequent. Every day should be full of prayers all day long. Pray without ceasing, right? I do well one day, but then the next day the distractions or frustrations get to me and make me forget about praying. Of course I am leaning on circumstances as excuses for my own forgetfulness and self-sufficiency. 

So I try again. This new book I got (full of Lewis' essays called God in the Dock) is quickly becoming full of ink marks, underlines, and paragraph highlights. This line from C.S. Lewis was the news I needed to read, knowing that each moment we can start afresh, because I am going to fail. I feel like I need a sign in front of me all day that simply says "Pray" so I will make sure my focus is in the right place.

What a sorry excuse it is to forget to pray. Do we forget to eat? Or sleep? Why then do we forget to communicate with our Creator? It's about putting our focus on Him instead of ourselves. For the next week, I will be focusing on this. Maybe the week after that too. I will practise, and if I fail, start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment