10 January 2013

By Grace

But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise, grace would no longer be grace.
-Romans 11.6


In my mind lately has been that gentle reminder of how selfish I am. I choose to ignore it oftentimes, to remedy my thoughts into believing I am not selfish, but I always come back to knowing that I am selfish. We all are. We think about circumstances from the perspective of how it can be best for me, regardless of how it might affect or hurt others. Not intentionally, mind you. But we carry a sense of entitlement in our hearts, and it is hard to make room for God in there when you are filled with yourself.

I am indeed a privileged, white American. Even though by society's standards I am not rich, I really am rich and well-off. I have some big dreams that would cost money that I don't have, but I want for nothing. These thoughts came about when reading this section of Romans when I began to ponder what it might be like to live in that time when Paul was trying to make everyone believe that grace is possible, but they have to make room in their hearts. When I read these verses it lit a torch over the differences in the Old Testament way and the New Testament way Paul is talking about whereby grace is what saves us, and it is no longer by works.

The people at this time only knew of the Old Testament methods of performing sacrifices and doing certain acts required of them to please the Lord. Paul is explaining that this thing that Jesus did, dying for us and raising from the dead took care of all that. It's no longer needed, so stop focusing on it. What is given to us is grace, by which we only must accept it and believe it in our hearts. We don't have to buy our way in, or it would not be grace. They are having a hard time believing Paul and letting grace into their hearts. They keep dividing everyone. Paul is saying that:


The same Lord is Lord of all.
-Romans 10.12


And there is no distinction between Jew and Greek. We are all the same. Yes, even those who live in Iran, Oman, China, and Australia. The Lord of ALL. God gives us a gift of grace, and the simplest thing to do. To accept the gift. No works involved. And if that belief is in your heart you will be changed, and you will want to do good works for the glory of God, and not yourself.
But why do we have such a hard time with this when we so easily accept things our society tells us?

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

-Romans 11.36

No comments:

Post a Comment