16 January 2013

Small Strength

I am reading The Fellowship of the Ring (by J.R.R. Tolkien) again and enjoying it more than I ever have. I think with each reading it is better and better (something to which C.S. Lewis would agree). One thing I have always loved about this story is how the smallest person can change everything. I like the idea that we don't have to be strong or powerful to make a difference in this world. The evil forces are relying on strength and power and dominion to make everything fall into its hand, but no power, no matter how wide-spread it might be can thwart the love in the tiniest soul.

It's a theme that grows and grows with the story and there are oftentimes moments where, in the darkest of circumstances, when all hope seems lost and there is no way out, an ounce of hope arrives in something unexpected like a glittering star, a beautiful sight in nature, or a word spoken in comfort. With the gentle reminder that there is good worth fighting for, and even if should claim your life, it will be done for that good to be restored.

I believe this to be true in real life as well. We may not spend our days trekking across Middle-earth being hunted by evil black riders with long swords and a thirst for your destruction, but we are pursued by evil every day.

The dark thoughts that seemingly come out of nowhere in your mind actually do come from somewhere. Letting grief, despair, fear, jealousy, or anger overcome us and consume us is not a fluke. It is orchestrated by Satan, as he loves to see us fall. His only enjoyment is to watch others suffer and falter in faith. But if we call him out and recognize his schemes, it disjoints his plan. Satan cannot stand to be mocked.

"Is there no escape then?" said Frodo, looking round wildly. "If I move shall I be seen and hunted! If I stay, I shall draw them to me!"
Strider laid his hand on his shoulder. "There is still hope," he said. "You are not alone."
The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment