08 April 2015

Of Glorious Spring in Oxford














Gather gladness from the skies;
Take a lesson from the ground;
Flowers do ope their heavenward eyes
And a Spring-time joy have found;
Earth throws Winter's robes away,
Decks herself for Easter Day.


- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Oxford in the Spring. It is glorious.

I am going to bottle up this crisp Spring air, the beauty of the blooms, and the scent of the sweet flowers and take it all back with me to the States, because gosh it is so lovely here in the Spring.

These photos are just a taste of the mass of blooms that are all around Oxford. The trees come alive with colour. The window sills are all adorned with lovingly arranged flowers and they brighten the walkways that pass by the windows.

I find myself walking along and suddenly stopping to pull out my phone to take a photo. Even while it was cold the flowers looked so cheerful. The weather has cleared and warmed, and everyone in the city is so excited. They all talk about it. They ache for the warm sun. The flowers do, too.

Spring, for me, is a season I do not get to experience much. Florida does not have a real Spring. It tends to jump from our version of Winter, to Summer. But here is my dose of Spring, and I hope it brightens your day. Oh England, you cheer my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment