23 April 2015

Writing in Books


For it is much better to be tied to one wonderful thing than to allow a mere catalogue of wonderful things to deprive you of the capacity to wonder.
- G.K. Chesterton

Don't mind my scribbles.
I tend to underline in books.

Nowadays, I mostly use pencil. Pencils seems to be less bold and obtrusive to the text as a whole and then I don't feel like the page is soaked in modern scrawl and ink. I shudder to think back to my high school years when I would sometimes highlight sentences. To think! Bright yellow highlighter is not meant for books.  

Don't get me wrong, though. Books are meant to be read, re-read, used, carried, held open, flipped through. And with me, underlined, with the occasional scribble in the margins. I want to be able to find a favourite quote or section again.


Sometimes my fingers grip a pen and write in books as I read, but most of the time if words come to mind while I read, I write them onto blank pages in my journal so I can expand on those thoughts later on with several pages at my disposal. Since I do not plan to sell my books for profit, I do not need to keep them perfect, though. I'd rather see my niece reading them many years from now. Passed down to the next generation and so on. So, my books do not need to look untouched. In fact, I prefer to buy used, old books that have seen many readers already.

Books are never worse for wear.
No indeed.
Books are better with use.

They also smell better as they age. As the pages and binding breaks down it produces the best scent.

Neglect or abuse are not allowed, though. But lovingly and gently worn is what I am okay with. Respectfully read.
I don't turn away from books that have some additional notes written in. I like to study the handwriting, and wonder who read the book before me. So if I come across a lovely old book that interests me, with several names written in the front cover and notes throughout, I make a new home for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment