01 April 2015

Lincoln College, Oxford












Do all the good you can.
By all the means you can.
In all the ways you can.
In all the places you can.
At all the times you can.
To all the people you can.
As long as ever you can.
― John Wesley

Here are some views of my second home for a bit. Lincoln College, Oxford.

Each college has a charm of its own. Lincoln is no exception. It's in the heart of Oxford. Literally. I am around the corner from the Bodleian Library and Radcliffe Square. High Street is a block away. Some of my favourite shops and restaurants are mere blocks away, or less.

Lincoln College is the home of John Wesley. His room can be seen up the first set of stairs when you enter the college's main quadrangle. It is pictured above. Wesley started the Methodist Movement right here with a small group. He was a fellow here in Lincoln from 1726-1751.

Outside my window I spotted some Hobbit windows and couldn't help but smile at the circular windows low to the ground. I wonder if Frodo has been around lately. It should be time for second breakfast now.

The tree that is growing and stretching along the walls is in the main quadrangle, and the door in the corner is the entrance to the dining hall where I eat breakfast every morning, sitting at the long wooden tables and benches like the students have done for centuries.

Everywhere I turn there are picturesque windows with perfectly gardened window boxes of tulips, daffodils, and other Springtime blooms. The garden with the bench is right near my door leading up the staircase to my room.

It is so lovely staying in college while here. You get to experience life as a student, and hear the witty conversations of students at breakfast who are staying during break. This morning at breakfast, I talked with a German teacher, who is here visiting on a solo trip for fun (like me!). We talked about the things we enjoy doing here in Oxford, and the differences in the mindset of Germany vs. America regarding learning languages and going to university.

No comments:

Post a Comment