07 April 2015

C.S. Lewis Was Here














C.S. Lewis lived here in Oxford for thirty years, so of course his footprints are everywhere. A lot has changed since his time, but so much is exactly as it was then. Here are just a few of the places that are remarkably C.S Lewis because he either wrote about it in his diary or it is inspiration.

The Mitre is a cosy restaurant on High Street. The view here in my photo is walking down Turl Street toward High Street. Lewis wrote about meeting his brother, Warnie, here often for dinner. I ate here my first night for dinner (or maybe it was lunch?). My time was all confused. Inside it was classy. With wood paneled walls, soft carpet, wood tables, and beautiful lighting. Also, the food was really good. I had to get something like the English classic, bangers and mash for my first meal in Oxford.

St. Mary's University Church is a beautiful church that stands at the heart of Oxford. It has been on this site for 1,000 years! Lewis gave his sermon "The Weight of Glory" here at this pulpit. Many other important speakers have given sermons here, including John Wesley (the founder of Methodism).

Just next to St. Mary's is a passage that leads to Radcliffe Square. Along this passage is an ornately carved and decorated door. This is known as the door into Narnia. Lewis would have walked by this door quite often. It is the possible inspiration for characters such as Mr. Tumnus and Aslan. It is said this gave Lewis the idea of a door into Narnia (via the wardrobe). Whatever the case may be, it is simply fun to see images that remind me of Narnia.

Of course, The Eagle and Child is the now famous pub where the Inklings met regularly for a pint and a pipe, and some good conversation about their writings. I cannot come to visit and not eat here at some point! I sat in the Rabbit Room, because that's where all the Inklings photos and the books are.

Lastly, I cannot neglect to mention Lewis' college, home for thirty years, Magdalen College, which is said to be the prettiest college at Oxford. I really think it is, with the buildings, the flowers, Addison's Walk, a deer park, and plenty of space to wander and think. No wonder Lewis got so much thinking done here. Lewis's rooms were in the New Building, with his sitting room facing the back (toward the deer park) and his bedroom facing the front of the building toward the rest of the college. I love walking around this college and Addison's Walk. It is peaceful and bursting with flowers here in Spring. It is also quiet, because visitors have to pay to get into Magdalen, and only those with actual interest in it would do so.

I love that I can walk around Oxford and catch glimpses of places or things that inspired or were park of the everyday life of my favourite authors like C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Lewis Carroll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment