21 April 2015

Typical English Day











Just like a typical English day, the brighter sky that was emitting warmth has turned to a grey blanket, and it is chilly again. One could think of the weather as putting a wet blanket on the day once it grew overcast, but that is not what I think. In all seriousness, the weather changes frequently within a 24 hour period. All four seasons could be displayed in that time. But I do not mind it one bit.

After various morning adventures that included Christ Church College Cathedral service, coffee at Turl Street Kitchen, the Ashmolean Museum for a sandwich and a little bit of wandering around the art galleries, I left the museum craving some coffee and something sweet, but as I passed by Balliol College, the gate was open, so I went in and wandered around the lovely grounds. 

It is deceptive how large the college is when you just pass by the walls and gate each day on Broad Street. When you enter the college through the large, wooden doors, a whole world opens. Vast open green spaces bordered by residency halls fill your vision. A garden full of blooming daffodils and other flowers, and an Ent watching over them (surely Ents are real, even though they are the talking trees from The Lord of the Rings. I saw many Ents all around Oxford. They are big, beautiful trees that were most definitely around when Tolkien walked these paths). The chapel has a distinctive stripe pattern on the outside and is lovely inside. The dining hall is large and bright, with wood-paneled walls, wooden tables and benches, portraits all around the hall, and beautiful windows.

This was an unplanned stop in my day, but I could not resist it when the gate was open, and I will always stop to tour a college. The gates of the colleges are not always open. Some colleges never seem to open their gates (ahem- University College). But sometimes between 2-5 each day they are. A few colleges are good about being open (New College, Magdalen College). Some are not. There are several colleges I really want to visit, but I can never catch them at a time where their gates are open (Exeter College, Brasenose College).

Balliol College was a pleasant surprise. Just like every corner I turn in Oxford.

Then, as the drizzly rain started, I ducked into Turl Street Kitchen for a cappuccino and brownie. I will state unhesitatingly that it might have been the best brownie I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment