31 March 2015

Among the Dreaming Spires








There is no weather so good as English weather. Nay, in a real sense there is no weather at all anywhere but in England.
- G.K. Chesterton

Good Afternoon, from Oxford!
I am among the dreaming spires again, and my heart is floating. Perhaps it might float away in the wind, for this day is downright windswept! 

The first photo is the view I have from my room, in Lincoln College. That is the steeple of the Lincoln College Library. Not a bad view. I've made myself at home, hanging up my clothes, and setting things around the room. I have a large room, twice the size as I expected.

Chesterton is correct: the weather sure does change! 


During breakfast this morning in the dining hall, I sat at a table with a group of Physics students who were there competing for the spots on the English team for a worldwide competition. The head of the group (a professor, I imagine) sat across from me and was quite chatty, asking about me, what I was doing, and where I was from, etc. That's when he told me about the conference they were having, so I asked more about that. Basically, I was sitting at a table of about eight geniuses! While he was jealous that I was from Florida, I said that I like it here because there are seasons. The weather has changes, and Florida is just mostly tropical. "Yes," he agreed, "England has four seasons in one day. And you think -what is going on here?"

I laughed. That is pretty much the perfect description. So, I'm off to explore and be out there amidst the four seasons of Oxford!

(Note: after sleeping for almost 12 hours last night (I got no sleep on my flight over), I had two of the biggest cups of tea I could this morning in the dining hall. Each cup was delicious. That ritual will be on repeat every morning)

No comments:

Post a Comment