04 April 2011

Calling Haiti .......Are You There?

I am amazed by the technology we have today. The things our mobile phones do now is baffling to many people (such as our parents age group), as they are still trying to figure out how to text, let alone figure out how to Google map directions on a phone. When you think about it, it has moved so fast. I got my first mobile phone in high school when I started driving. I had a limited number of minutes to use and the only thing it did was make and receive calls. Today, I see 10 year olds with mobile phones that browse the Internet and take HD video.

I think we forget sometimes how it feels to lose connection to someone.
I am particularly thinking about this right now because my brother, Jason, is in Haiti with 7 other amazing people from his church. They have been there for four days now. When they flew into Port-au-Prince, they had to take a small plane south to Les Cayes. There, at the missionaries home base, there was a computer with Internet, so I was thrilled to receive an email from Jason saying they all had arrive safely. But I knew that was the last I would be able to hear from him until 5 days later. The next morning, they were scheduled to drive through the rough roads in the mountains to Baraderes. I can't wait to hear from him in a few days.


You don’t know what you have until it’s gone, right? When I can usually call, email, text, or G-chat Jason, it is now so blatently obvious that I have no way to communicate with him. Truthfully, I am not worried. I have been praying each day for all that the group will be doing. It’s getting used to this lack of communication that I am not accustomed to.
It’s trusting in things that I cannot see. Having faith that while I cannot communicate, God most definitely can. Even in the midst of a tiny Haitian village. That is why the prayers are so important. It’s helping me remember that nothing can replace the communication we need with God, through prayer.

To have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see. -Hebrews 11.1

1 comment:

  1. very good insight. in many ways prayer is the ultimate form of communication (Romans 8:25-27).

    ReplyDelete