10 April 2011

Hospitality- English Style



I don't think I really appreciated hospitality until I traveled to England for the first time. The more I travel, the more open I have become to welcoming people, meeting people, and experiencing time with good people. As Christians we are to share the good news and show love to our neighbors. What better way to show love than by welcoming guests and treating them like family?

I will never forget my first arrival in England. Jason and I flew over with his friend Richard, and we planned to stay with his family at their farm in Tonbridge, Kent, about a 30 minute train ride south of London. At the airport, Richard's dad picked us up and drove us into Tonbridge. This was my first time stepping onto the ground of England. First time overseas. First time encountering driving on the left side of the road. My eyes must have been wide like owl's eyes. Even after the overnight flight with little sleep, my senses were alive and alert.

We drove down narrow streets lined with hedges on both sides (the English love their hedges) and soon pulled into the farm. The white farmhouse is a lovely 2-storey full of family history. We made our way into the kitchen, where Richard's mum greeted us. Richard commented that our breakfast on the plane was not very good, so his mum told us to put our luggage away and she would fix some tea. Jason and I brought our luggage upstairs to our rooms. My room was the sewing/craft room. It had a single bed against the wall and a long desk full of sewing supplies. It had windows that would open by a little lever. One window was open, hinged at the top, it was pushed outward and held open by a little arm. My room overlooked a lovely garden on the side of the house. Upon further exploring, I noticed all the windows in the house were open and there were no screens. No need for A/C and no need for screens either. I found that even during that first night, as it rained, my window stayed open and no rain came in. The cool night air kept my room delightfully chilly and utterly comfortable. Sounds of the English Countryside leaked in, but rain did not.

After checking out Jason's room, we headed back downstairs to the kitchen, where Richard's mum prepared tea, coffee, toast, jam, cereal, and other items. This was my first taste of tea in England, and they sure know how to make the best pots of tea. Every cup of tea I had in England (trust me, I had a lot) was a thousand times better than I've had before. It is amazing. I learned that teatime is pretty much any time you take a break. Meaning, it's a frequent occurance. As I took a piece of toast and slathered it with homemade plum and port jam made by Richard's brother, his dad and brother popped in to have a cup of tea before going back out on the farm. Then his sister came in reminding everyone of the wedding in a short time. We were not invited, of course, but everyone thought it would be lovely if we came, and we could just sit up in the gallery. So, we all dressed in some nice clothes, and 3 hours after landing in England we went to an English wedding. I felt part of the family. It was such a warm feeling to be included and welcomed in everything. Later, we took walks around the farm through the sheep fields and the apple orchards. I ate one of their apples the next day and it was perfectly crisp and sweet. We went to church with the family the next day, and had lunch in the kitchen with the addition of a long table for all the family and guests, more walks around the farm, and an elaborate tea (with meats, cheeses, cakes, fruit, tea) where everyone relaxed in the sitting room reading, talking, eating, and enjoying time together before another church service that night.

It was bliss. These were the first impressions of England that I encountered. Full of hospitality. Doesn't it make you want to go?

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. -Hebrews 13.2

No comments:

Post a Comment