14 April 2011

London Dreaming

From the top of St. Paul's Cathedral, London. Yes, I climbed all the 524+ steps!

Trafalgar Square looking at St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church

I just bought a plane ticket to London, so how can I not daydream just a little bit? (I will also travel to Oxford, but I will daydream about that tomorrow)
How can I not daydream about seeing the dome of St. Paul's, magnificiant, even when you can only catch a glimpse from the train. You can't help but feel a sense of pride for England knowing that the dome survived the WWII blitz because citizens climbed the dome with water hoses so it didn't burn.
How can I not think about people-watching in Trafalgar Square? This wide open space with fountains and more monuments than you can count is a great spot to take pictures and watch tourists climb the famous lions that sit at the bottom of the column of Lord Nelson. Big Ben can be seen from this spot, too.
How can I forget my visits to the British Museum or the National Gallery? Both free, and well worth your time. Or walking across the River Thames on the Millenium Bridge? Or riding a tour boat underneath?
I didn't even mention getting to see the Scottish National Orchestra play at Royal Albert Hall.
Or going to St. Helen's Bishopsgate Church in the heart of the financial district. A 13th century church dwarfed by the skyscrapers that surround it.
Even the train stations are interesting themselves. Here are more chances to do some people-watching. Go to Paddington Station so you can catch the train to Oxford.....

No comments:

Post a Comment