14 December 2011

Powerful Words

Man shall not be quite lost, but saved who will, 
Yet not of will in him, but grace in me
Freely vouchsafed.
-Paradise Lost, John Milton

What do you do to keep yourself occupied during flights? I read (surprise surprise). I sit down in my aisle seat, pull out my book and set my bag on the floor in front of my feet. I start reading immediately, especially if I am traveling alone.

When I got on the plane bound for Portland, I stayed true to my ritual. I pulled out my paperback copy of Paradise Lost by John Milton and dove in. I looked up and out the window as we rose into the sky. I like to watch the buildings and streets grow small. After a few minutes, I turn back to my book.

As I was reading Book III of Paradise Lost, a section caused me to pause and re-read, where some descriptive words about God were used throughout a stanza. I wrote each word out in my journal separately:

Omnipotent

Immutable

Immortal

Infinite

Eternal King

Author of all being

Fountain of Light


I just love these words. They provoke deeper thoughts about our all powerful God as you think about what the words means. These words are un-achievable for you and me. We can never be infinite, author of all beings, or a fountain of light. Yes, we have eternal life, but it not of our own accord. It is because we accept the gift from God.

This is what astonishes me. That our God, who is all those things (all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful, author, live-giver, everlasting) cares about me. I am just one tiny person who doesn't say the things that need to be said, who doesn't always do the right thing, who wavers, who questions, and who fails. But God still holds me in His arms. He can count each red hair on my head as I speed above the clouds on a plane. Psalm 63.7-8 says, "for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." David wrote these verses while he was in the wilderness. We all have times where we are in our own wilderness. Like David, my soul clings to God, and these words comfort me in knowing that no matter where I am, I am safe in my Lord's arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment