31 December 2011

Resolutions?

(click on the comic to make it bigger)
I forgot that it's almost 2012. New Year's always creeps up on me, being so close to the busy family times at Christmas and I am not prepared for another celebratory affair.

Some people think nothing of New Year's. It is just another day. Other people have parties, make resolutions, and watch all the various events on TV (Times Square, parades, and  football). Sometimes I think the beginning of a new year is when it is easiest for people to make good changes. Or attempt to. Beginnings are always hopeful, and since the calendar is providing us with a beginning once a year, it's up to us how we use it.

T.S. Eliot wrote that every moment is a fresh beginning. For me, that means I can start over at any moment. Brush the dust of my feet. Jesus told His disciples to brush the dust of their feet when they left a town that did not welcome them or who hindered them. Jesus wanted them to let it go and move on. Did you fail at something this year? Brush the dust off your feet. Did you discover what you really want to do? Do you have a goal? Do you want to read Gulliver's Travels, like Charlie Brown? Don't put it off like Charlie Brown. Use this New Year's time to take a step, or to research it. After all, as Agatha Christie said, "The secret to getting ahead is getting started."

No comments:

Post a Comment