18 February 2015

Lent Beginnings


With the swift evening drawing to a close, the morning will start a renewed time of reflection. As the morning begins its rising, wiped fresh from the overnight rain, a tone of newness is present. The bitter chill stays the air and I breathe deeply the cleansing scent of a new day. Waking now, it is the start of Lent, which is a time to remove distractions that take us away from focusing on God.

Ash Wednesday reminds us that we are dust and to dust we shall return. To turn away from sin and be continually faithful to Christ. The service at church is solemn and quiet. Deep and thought provoking. I have felt most moved by God's Spirit in these services over the years, so much more than in any loud and vibrant service. 


There is something about reaching down into oneself, as God sees us, to recognize our place in God's eyes. We come forward and receive the cross of ash on our foreheads, as a reminder. Each time I have gone forward, I sat back down in the pew with a full rejuvenated hope. A joy expectant. The presence of God felt among a congregation. After a long day, the evening service forces me to quiet my soul and listen. To let everything else go, and just be in the presence of God. To know that I am loved, and forgiven.

Lent is a time to reshuffle our efforts to give God time, by casting aside some things that take away time with Him. That is why many people select certain foods or drinks to abstain from during Lent, to help refocus themselves from those distractions. I seek to find more time to quiet my soul to be in God's presence, and to reflect on His words in thought and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment