11 February 2015

Forever a Student


The imagination can both perceive and at least half-create reality and truth, far more reliably than any other method of apprehension.
(from Introduction of Romantic Poetry and Prose)


I study and read English Literature as if I were a student learning all this for an exam and a long paper. I underline, I take notes , I write out poems and quotes. It is not something I make myself do, rather, it's an intuitive action that comes as naturally as turning the page. Is that not normal?

I want to learn about words, the usage, the history, and the time period at which the poet was writing. A lot of what is going on at the time influences what the author is writing about, what he is referring to, and the style of how he writes. If Milton was a main poet of study, the work of the author is going to reflect or model Milton in some way. I like to know how those relate.

There are secrets and information hidden in writings of the past. There are deeper meanings to meander through. There are tales of old. There are facts and reactions about events at that time in history, and all of that fascinates me. It is not about being drawn back to the past to dwell, but it is about incorporating that wisdom written centuries ago into today's life. How can these words guide us today? What do they say about what we have become today? Were the words prophetic?

I may not be a student in a class receiving grades right now, but I will always, forever, be a student of English Literature, and all things word-related, poetry, prose, language. As I read more, I see how much more there is to discover behind all of it. The layers of knowledge, and that is so exciting to me. To have almost endless sources to read and absorb. So, excuse me know: I've got a lot of reading to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment