09 March 2016

Creative Living


...keep working steadily, because I believe it is our privilege as humans to keep making things for as long as we live, and because I enjoy making things.
p.237

This quote sums up the book in a few words, and it is one that I believe in, as well. Elizabeth has a friendly writing style that makes it feel like she is sitting across the table as you talk through life. She is approachable and says things like they are. There is no sugary coating in here, but just some insights into the creative life style. I am glad I read this book. It is full of good reminders.

I think every person who likes to write has read this book. It reaches out to all those creative minds who might have some lingering fear holding them back from actually finishing a project or even starting one that they dream about.

The main theme of this book is - do something! Just go create! Why are you sitting around complaining about it? Just do it. How are you going to improve if you are not working every single day toward being creative? If you expect some sudden inspiration to come to you to create something so great, then you are going to be waiting for a very long time.

Oh, and don't quit your job to pursue a creative life. Be creative on your own time (unless you are already some famous person or have an abundance of money). But most of all, create every day. You are going to fail, and not everything is going to be excellent material, but you still have a job and can still pursue your creativity because your ability to pay the bills isn't dependent on it.

Lastly, do you have the courage to create that which is deep within you? For me, I never thought my writings were good enough to share with anyone, until late in my college life when I realized that people might actually be interested in reading what I had written when a dear friend showed real interest in my writings. That changed the way I thought about what I already loved to do - write.

Do you have the courage to bring forth the treasures that are hidden within you?
p.8

No comments:

Post a Comment