02 March 2016

Oxford History


Learning more about my favourite place is always something I long for. A book that has been on my wish list is Dr. Radcliffe's Library, which I first saw last year when I was in Oxford. At the new Weston Library, there is a lovely gift shop, with a section of books published by the Bodleian Library. 

While I was browsing the shop on a sunny day, this book, of course, caught my eye, and I decided to put it on my wish list because I had about 12 other books already purchased in Oxford (that I had to carry back to the states), of a used and old nature that could not be purchased later. At last, I got this book for my birthday, and dove into it this weekend (and finished it).

Dr. Radcliffe was a student at Oxford, and became a physician in town. He grew to be well known and a trusted doctor, and then moved to London to grow even more in his practice. He was the physician for much of the royal family, but had a sort out outspoken, vibrant character that seemed to put some people off. 

When Dr. Radcliffe died, he left specific instructions in his will for building a new library in Oxford, leaving £40,000 for the building and other sums for hiring a librarian and £100 per year for purchasing books. The project didn't start for another twenty years, but when they finally did get the building constructed in 1749 in the space between St. Mary's University Church and the Bodleian Library, it was a neo-classical style that added some new depth to the mostly medieval architecture in Oxford at the time. This grand, rotund building was at the centre of the town and therefore quite a prominent fixture.

It took many more years for the reading room to become part of the Bodleian Library, and thereby giving access to students, but once it did, and the collection of books grew, it became an important place of study and reading for students.

Since I am not a student (and do not have a reader card), the only way to gain access to the Radcliffe Camera is by way of a tour, which I did a couple years ago, and I am so glad I did. I would love to hang out there all day reading. It is beautiful, grand, encircled by books, and right at the centre of Oxford. It was really fun to read the history of the building, and the donor, and now when I go back to Oxford next month, I can stand by to give lectures on the history, in case any passersby want to know.
(Just kidding)
(Kind of)

No comments:

Post a Comment