21 December 2012

Glory to God

Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.
-Isaiah 9.6


Is this Christmas weekend greeting you with a merry heart?
I have a merry heart deep inside, but on the outside I am dashing to and fro at work and at home, trying to finish what I need to finish. I am not feeling frantic. I am done with all shopping and wrapping and such. It's just items on my to-do list that need time and attention.

Time. We always say we need more time. But if we all had more time we would just fill it with more stuff that wastes time. I was talking with someone recently about all the advances in technology, and how the original thought was the addition of computers and technology was going to increase our leisure time so much that we would have to create more leisurely things to do with our time because the computers would be doing the work for us. Well, that hypothesis is way off. So much so that we actually have less free time now because we have all the different ways in which to keep in touch, and to keep up with. We don't just have phones. We have phones that email, text, access the internet, blogs, social sites that we have to keep connected to. We walked right into it. Could we walk back out of it? I could.

But I have gone off on a tangent, which is what happens now that we are forced to multi-task in everything we do since we don't have time to devote to one thing at a time. My whole day at work is full of multi-tasking. Not only do I have two computer screens so I can have several programs up on screen at once, but I also have about 3-4 different tabs of files open and sometimes several emails open to respond to. Oh yes, it's a multi-tasking world. No wonder we can't stop to focus.

But only ONE thing matters. Only ONE love is at the core of my being, and He is born on Christmas Day. The impact of this baby altered everything, for the evil in this world did not expect God to come down as a little helpless baby, who can smile, cry, and hurt like all of us. This love is what conquers and makes evil stumble, because the evil cannot understand love. This self-sacrificing, outward, God-love is unfathomable to those who have chosen to distance themselves from Him. And while Jesus was born like us, small, and dependent, the three-in-one God of the universe is the wonderful counselor, mighty God, the everlasting father, the prince of peace. Glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment