18 March 2013

My True Country

I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and to help others to do the same.
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity 


It is when good things happen that we so easily get comfortable in this world without regards to the place we are truly meant to belong. I love to travel and I feel like certain places suit me and compliment the way I like to live and hold things that interest me. But no place here was made for me. There will always be a hollow gap that cannot be filled. But the true country of heaven will be made to fit me perfectly. Like a lock and a key.

I don't ever want to lose that main object of focus, as C.S. Lewis refers to, for the other country that is to come. It is a dangerous place to stray to, getting off track to a self-centeredness without acknowledging God. While all the good here is full of God's grace and love, we should not get caught in the here-and-now. When I think about the places I love to travel to, I smile because I see them as just a sampling of all the glorious sights that our true country will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment