29 March 2013

Holy Week


Jesus walked around on the dust of this world, saying things that toppled our worldly views.

The way up is down.
The last shall be first. The first shall be last.

The stories he told were outrageous. The people he hung around with were sinners. Thank goodness for our sake! He came here for us.

Have you been watching "The Bible" each Sunday night on the History channel? What do you think about it? It is pretty neat to see some of the lesser known stories come to life, and the most well-known stories as well. And if curious watchers are learning about God's love through this visual vehicle, that is good news! Passages I have been studying recently in the New Testament are portrayed on screen, which only makes me reflect on it again. And watching the Old Testament stories makes me want to go back and re-read them to see what I had missed before.

I have been thinking lately how many times our way of thinking is completely opposite of what is best. We think power is good. Jesus tells us blessed are the meek. We think wealth is good. Jesus says blessed are the poor in spirit. We think minding our business and keeping quiet is the best, but Isaiah tells us to spread the good news! How beautiful are the feet of those who share the good news!

This Holy Week has been a strange one for me, being away from home, out of my routine, away from people I know. But no matter where I am I can be a part of Holy Week. I went to a Maundy Thursday dinner at a church here in Ft.Wayne, Indiana last night. It was such an amazing experience. And I have met some incredible people this week.

Take part in Holy Week. Wherever you are. Let it dwell in your heart and mind. Let Jesus' love for you really sink in as you think about the emotions He was feeling on Maundy Thursday, knowing it was His last night. And today, on Good Friday, knowing exactly what he was about to go through. The weight of all our sins on His shoulders, the suffering, feeling alone. He went through that because He knew what was to come....on the third day....

No comments:

Post a Comment