19 March 2013

There Are No Ordinary People


Don't be afraid to be different from the crowd. Variety makes the world more beautiful.

I am not a fan of following the crowd. I never was, really. I like getting ideas and inspiration from other creative people, but we were created to create. Not in a flashy look-at-me way, but in a use-your-talents-for-others way. It is not that I want to draw attention to myself, but I want to draw attention to my Creator who gave me all the creativity I have. All the gifts. All the talents. Nothing is from me.

What a dull world we would live in if we all copied one another or tried to be like each other. Sometimes we view our being different as a hindrance to "fitting in", but we were made to not fit into this world, but to fit into the next world. We are not just ordinary people. We are so much more. What is ordinary? I will let C.S. Lewis explain:

There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.
- C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"

No comments:

Post a Comment