02 July 2015

Nothing Is Ordinary






Ordinary and unmeaning existence is like ten thousand thrilling detective stories mixed up with a spoon.
- G.K. Chesterton

I love when the ordinary isn't ordinary.
Like when the sunrise or sunset is so beautiful, it catches your breath.
Or when the flowers in bloom are so lovely and the scent makes you smile.
Or when a cup of coffee is so smooth and delicious.

When my journal opens to a blank page on my lap, and I have time to think and muse on paper.
When something so simple is made special with a touch of elegance.
Or when you make a really simple meal that uses few ingredients and tastes so delicious.

I am one who enjoys seeing the loveliness in what someone else might call ordinary. You might see a messy table with dishes. I see lovely remnants of a meal with someone. That is one reason I have always liked taking photographs. Even when I was little, I always had one of those old-fashioned disposable cameras with me, taking photos of all sorts of things that caught my eye. Nothing is ordinary.

Scenes of the everyday are what capture my attention. Coffee cups on a table ready to sip. Scenes of a hike deep in the woods. Books on a shelf, neatly stacked. Fresh cut flowers in a vase. Dappled light coming in the window.


Tucked within each day's normalcy is tiny glimpses of something greater. Something so beautiful even we cannot imagine. But they are glimpses I like to notice, and capture if I can, in words or photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment