27 July 2015

Step Out to Adventure


A story is the highest mark,
For the world is a story and every part of it,
And there is nothing that can touch the world or any part of it
That is not a story.
- G.K. Chesterton


Some of us tend to stay in the comfortable box we have set around ourselves. What we know is good can be kept that way, right? We don't venture out because there are unknowns. Truly, though, every day is an unknown, and we should be living the unanswered questions. I have embraced this concept and know that God has blessed me already with such questions that I am simply living out. Most of the time, all I need is a little encouragement; knowing someone is kind of backing me up to take that step out gives me comfort as that step is taken.
We can think of this in the context of a larger picture, like a great story we are part of.

What are some challenges that are sprouting up in your life that require you to step out of your comfort zone and do something daring?
Could it be part of our story to take that opportunity? To challenge ourselves with something that will require much of us?


I know what is being asked of me. It is demanding. It is challenging. It is scary because there is possibility of failure. But it is part of my story. The task has been entrusted to me, and I am quite excited to take it on, even while those nervous feelings flutter.

The adventure set before me requires much of me. I have to take personal time to work on it when I oftentimes would rather just lounge in the evening with a good book. I realize that some of the good things in life (the advances, the progress) takes some sacrifice of those things (for a little while) which we hold dear. 

I see the opportunities set before me and the two options. One option is to stay the same. To remain where one is, in a comfortable place. Where things are known and he scent is familiar. The other is to take on a challenge of moving forward to something that will stretch you and make you try new things. I am one that thinks it is good to be stretched every so often. There is much to learn and grow from, but that must be done when we let ourselves be the clay on the potter's wheel. It takes us all a long while to be shaped, so look at that opportunity as part of the story and your shaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment