04 July 2015

A Little Red, White, and Blue






Every time we go to the mountains, I feel like I am travelling deeper into America. There is something about going into the country, to a place that feels old and sheltered with trees that have grown there for hundreds of years. I can imagine history taking place among the rolling mountains and landscapes steeped in tradition. 

The home we lived in had a lot of red, white, and blue decor. I loved all the blue and white china that hung in the dining room area and in the master suite. The red china cabinet and red decor in the living room made the home feel cosy and warm in a mountain cabin. And that is where we were.


There is a certain ice cream shop that we go to on a regular basis, Sweetreats, where they mix the ingredients smooth when you place your order. There's nothing like it, especially in a waffle cone. I rarely eat ice cream, except when in the mountains. It seems to be a quintessentially American summer treat. Though, I know every other country indulges in ice cream when the hot days roll in. My staple order is always vanilla yogurt with banana and fudge.

We always visit the mountains around Independence Day, but this year we were a bit early, so I think back to last week as we now celebrate America's birthday. We are incredibly fortunate to live in a country where we have freedoms and rights. We have landscapes to explore and beauty of such variety among all the states and people. We should be so thankful to God for all that we have here. I am certainly enjoying a long weekend with a full and thankful heart.

Happy Independence Day, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment