13 July 2015

Summer Essentials








A few glimpses of my summer essentials.

Sweet blackberries in the afternoon.
La Croix sparkling water all day, every day.
Cold brew coffee from Concord.
Salads on my vintage plate (everything looks prettier on this dish).
The afternoon light in my cosy living room.
Hours of reading.
Comfy, handmade leather shoes.

Hello, summer. I am finding the good things that I can find despite the heat you produce for months on end. I've accepted that it will be here for quite a while longer. But I know that it will end. I just have to be patient.


To think that this meaningless thing was ever a rose,
Scentless, colourless, this!
Will I ever be thus (who knows?)
Thus with our bliss,
If we wait till the close?

Tho' we care not to wait for the end, there comes the end
Sooner, later, at last,
Which nothing can mar, nothing mend:
An end locked fast,
Bent we cannot re-bend.

-"Summer is Ended" by Christina Rossetti

No comments:

Post a Comment