20 July 2015

Heat Lightning


Summer is...
Heat lightning
flashing with brilliancy
in the velvet sky.
Illuminating clouds and stars
for but a moment,
half a moment,

suspended in air of our atmosphere.

Strange cycles of heat and false hopes of a good rainstorm has been our schedule lately. I yearn for the cloud cover that brings a refreshing rain. Not the rain that loses its energy in five minutes, but the silvery grey sky that is so heavy with rain that the droplets fall for a good many hours, soaking the ground and washing away the heat. Yes, the humidity is still there, but with a sweetness of the rain it is a bit more tolerable.

I do not come with the opinion that day after day of sunshine brings happiness. No. I rejoice in the day-long rains where I can dive into a good book, with a cup of tea at my side. That makes me much happier than having a sunny day. But where there is light, there is cheerfulness.

Consider me strange and outlandish. Like heat lightning. The other night as I got ready for bed, I walked toward my bathroom and it was illuminated for split seconds because of the flashes out the window. I just stood there in the dark room watching, fascinated with spindles and zigzags of colourful lightning in the clear sky. We are used to cracks of thunder after flashes of lightning, but everything was silent. Just a brilliant light show by our Creator. Better than any fireworks I have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment