26 October 2016

Small Things Not Neglected


He changes times and seasons;
He removes kings and sets up kings;
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding;
He reveals deep and hidden things;
He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells within Him.

- Daniel 2.21-22

We have all heard (I am sure) the phrase that says (something to the effect of) being thankful for the small things, right? It is a universally acknowledged phrase now, but I think it is something worth thinking about, because most people use this phrase as a reminder to themselves that they need to pay attention and be thankful for the small things because there are blessings that occur everyday we might overlook.

I find that many times, it is the small things that I remember most vividly - such as something a close friend said to me in a conversation a year ago, an unexpected hug or kind gesture, the outfit I wore to a big financial licensing exam, the first meal I ate in England (breakfast in a friend's family farmhouse in Kent), the sounds and announcements of the train stations around England, or the way the wind whipped around me standing on the cliff looking at Kilt Rock on the Isle of Skye.

These tiny details become etched in memory for some reason. Not because they make a huge impact or change anything on their own, but because I noticed them. They might surround a larger event, such as a travel adventure or life events/changes, but sometimes there is more to be said within the smallest details.

Am I the only one who is like this? I could be out on my own limb, here, so if that is the case, then just make allowances for my oddness, look the other way, and keep moving along.

I suppose it is part of my personality to notice all the tiny details. I like to observe, piece things together, and notice things. When I write in my journal, I have observations to note in detail. If I am writing about an adventure, I want to be able to write about the weather of the place, the details of something someone might have said, the architecture of a building, the colours of the sky, and what street my favourite book shop is on. So, I pay attention, and store it in memory baskets for later.

To me, details are small things not to be neglected. I am generally inclined to notice the details, which is why I enjoy editing writings and solving problems/mysteries. Things that make one think. Seems to be a recurring theme in life. Sorry if I am making you think too much right now. Maybe all these details give you a headache.

A change comes along, like the change of a season; even in the smallest ways Florida does change gradually. Leaves do fall off trees and some even change colour a little bit (see my evidence, above). Humidity decreases, and cool air floats down to our southern roots. This southern state gives way to the season it resists for so long. I am thankful for that, and part of my prayers of thanks include all the details I am thankful for, like the beautiful sunrise I view from my kitchen table as I drink coffee, the flickering candle at dusk, enjoyable walks outside, the birdsong in the darkling hours of morning, and the fresh air I breathe deeply of.

Just as I like to find details to solve mysteries and contemplate questions, I like to notice the blessings in the details. I am always looking for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment