06 August 2011

Brontë


Vain are the thousand creeds
That move men's hearts, unutterably vain,
Worthless as withered weeds
Or idlest froth amid the boundless main

To waken doubt in one
Holding so fast by thy infinity
So surely anchored on
The steadfast rock of Immortality

-Emily Brontë

I have a little book of Emily Brontë's poetry. It is always in my bag, for any time is a good time to read her poems.  Emily Brontë lived from 1818- 1848 and yet her poems speak of matters that I could be writing about here in 2011. I love them because they cover a wide range of topics, emotions, and experiences. The language and versification is so beautiful. The musicality of her stanzas draws me into the words. The mysterious air that breathes through each poem fascinates me.

This excerpt, above, for example, speaks of people and the creeds they live by (it could be power, money, fame) and how worthless it all is in the end. They provoke doubts into the lives of those who live by God's Word, but the poet recognizes nothing is eternal except that which exists with God. The 'things' we make to be so important in life are worthless like weeds.

Emily Brontë has quickly become one of my favorite poets. I think because I feel that her poems could be coming from my own feelings sometimes. Of the poets I enjoy, I can relate to her words the most. I like her descriptions, like this of a fallen tree during a storm:

That Elm tree by the haunted well
Greets no returning summer skies
Down with a rush the giant fell
And stretched athwart the path it lies

( from "How Loud the Storm Sounds")
The creativity behind each line inspires me to work on my poetry skills, which are meager in comparison. It urges me to practice practice practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment