19 August 2011

All Beginnings Are Hopeful

“All beginnings are hopeful.”

This was the opening line spoken by the President of Oxford University to the incoming freshman class in the year 1944. I read that and I started to think about the line and how interesting it is. The phrase stuck with me for weeks and wouldn't let go.

There is something powerful about a beginning. Even in the uncertainty that surrounds it, there is hope deep within that this new thing is going to go the right way. That everything is going to work out exactly as it is meant to. These words were spoken in the darkness of WWII, and yet, here was the reminder to be hopeful at the beginning of Oxford students' academic year.

While we are shrouded in darkness, negativity, increased fears, more danger in the everyday, and less confidence in our own government there is always room for a new beginning. A hopeful beginning.
Something I love about a beginning is how it can start right now. Or right now. Whenever I am having a bad day, I say to myself “I can start this day over right now. Good morning.” It reminds me that my own attitude and mood is due to how I react to situations, and that’s in my control. The situations are not in my control, but I can choose how I react. 

No comments:

Post a Comment