12 August 2011

Feeling Small

Yosemite National Park- never felt so small as when I stood here in awe of God's creation, but what about human creation?

Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?
In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12.9-10

Instead of work today, I went to a Rays Baseball game as an office outing. On our bus ride to St. Petersburg, we drove through Tampa and as we got close to the airport each way, a plane was landing. The runway is pretty close to I-275, and for some reason, I love watching (and being close to) planes landing.

It brought back a memory from a few years ago. Ryan, Sam, and I were driving to Clearwater for a concert, and took SR 60, which passes very close to the start of the runway of the Tampa Airport. As we approached that part of the road, a huge plane was landing. We rolled down the windows and opened my sunroof. The timing was absolutely perfect that the plane was over our heads by inches (it seemed), and we looked up at the massive belly of the plane and the car was enveloped in the sound from the loud engines as it passed over us and hit the pavement a second later. It was thrilling. It made me feel so small. The remarkable creation of these huge airplanes that take us 40,000 feet into the sky and deliver us safely somewhere else thousands of miles away is something so modern and incredible. I love to travel, and planes are what make it possible for me to visit wonderful places overseas, and I am appreciative of their existence.

How small did I feel looking up at the plane that felt close enough to touch if I had reached my arm through the sunroof? 
Tiny, like a seed.
Yet even the power we humans have created in planes (and other grand things) is like a seed in comparison with God's power and greatness. God is bigger than planes and trains. God is bigger than nations, riots, and wars. And everything we know on this earth is in God's hands.

With God are wisdom and might;
he has counsel and understanding,
If he tears down, none can rebuild;
if he shuts a man in, none can open.
If he withholds the waters, they dry up;
if he sends them out, they overwhelm the land.
With him are strength and sound wisdom;
the deceived and the deceiver are his.
Job 12.13-16

These are the thoughts that came to mind when I watched that huge plane landing over my head. 

God is present everywhere. And His fingerprints are on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment