04 August 2011

Inspire Me

Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe- Asheville, NC
Various objects, scenes, or scents inspire me to write. The scent of coffee and books makes me want to curl up in a wing back chair and write all afternoon while sipping coffee.

Sitting outside has so many avenues of inspiration. Nature. People. Weather. Sounds and scents of the outdoors. It's always changing. Never still.

Objects like a coffee mug, a book, a flower, an old piece of furniture like a piano all bring ideas to my mind. I start placing these objects in a story or I wonder about the history of the piano. Or where that coffee mug is...perhaps on a table at a bistro...in Paris...Oui.

That's why I am drawn to coffee shops and bookstores. They contain many things that inspire me. They get my brain engaged, but I then have to back it up with new experiences, new people, new challenges, that forces me to shape new thoughts around the existing ideas concretely situated in my mind. The mold is always shifting; a flexible nature allows newness to meld in. Creating a unique, palpable musing.

And then the next idea comes....

No comments:

Post a Comment