05 August 2011

My People

I sat in silent musing on a blustery summer evening recently with thoughts of people in my head. Not just any people, but those in my life who I am overjoyed to say hello to and saddened to see go, including family and friends. People who listen to my thoughts and stories, and share pieces of their life with me. When I am with these people, I loose track of time and wish there was more hours in the day to spend with them. People who know my passions, my struggles, my heart. It is hard for me to let people into the depths of my soul, but these people I am thinking of are so close to my heart.

With thoughts drifting to people, I just ponder about how amazing each person is, in their own way, and how blessed I am to know them. Who am I to deserve their attention, time, and affection?

I don't deserve any of it. Yet I have it, and more. It's all a beautiful gift from God. I know God allows people in our lives for a reason. As I think about these people, I know they are supposed to be a part of my story. They get me thinking, they challenge me, they share stories with me, they inspire me and encourage me, they make me want to be a better person, and they touch my heart in their own unique way. I am so deeply thankful for that.

I don't want to go through life and miss the chance to appreciate the people who make my dark days brighter. I don't want to overlook this wonderful gift God has given me.

I am interested in discerning the voice of God in the conversations that we engage in when we are not intentionally thinking "God". -Eugene Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment