17 August 2011

Kindle Folk

I have been thinking about books lately. Well, when am I not thinking about books, really? But in comparison with the electronic books that everyone seems to have now, replacing the real books and visits to the ever-decreasing bookstores. I may rustle some feathers, here. I know everyone loves the electronic Kindle or Nook, but I do not have one (and don't want one), and I have friendly debates with my co-worker about them, because she has one and really likes it.

I bring up points about how you can't share any books with friends because you would have to give them your Kindle. Or how you have to buy all the books you put on there, and any current real books you already own are not on the device. My co-worker recants, saying that she can have several books stored on the Kindle and bring it on a trip with only one slim device to carry. Sure. Good point. But I have so many books that I re-read and those wouldn't be on there. And what about underlining sentences and writing notes? My books are full of my scribbles. You can't write on an electronic book.

She mentions that she doesn't even have to go to the bookstore to purchase a book. She just clicks and button to buy it. That is the worst news of all, to me. I counter that statement with the stern reminder that it's partly because of all the Kindle folk that many small bookstores are closing (ok, and partly the bad economy). A tragedy in my eyes. Part of the joy of reading, for me, is the wandering around bookstores, finding something new and discovering a treasure.

There are some things that are better left untouched. Unimproved. Books are a perfect example.

No comments:

Post a Comment