27 August 2011

Matters of Contentedness

...for I have learned to be satisfied with what I have. I know what it is to be in need and what it is to have more than enough. I have learned this secret, so that anywhere, at any time, I am content, whether I am full or hungry, whether I have too much or too little. I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me.
-Philippians 4.11-13

In Paul's letter to the Philippians, he writes a few lines about how he has learned to be content in whatever circumstance. Whether he is in abundance, wanting, has too much, or not enough, he knows how to be content, always. That seems like an ideal thought, and good in theory. Right? But how about applying it to your own life now?
It starts to come across as absurd, doesn't it? How can you be content if you can't make the next house payment? Or if you can't find a job? Or if your life has been turned upside down with loss?

I remember this guy in college. He was in one of my classes and was an extreme perfectionist. Now, I am a little bit of a perfectionist. I couldn't turn anything in without re-reading, proofing, and spell-checking (I was amazed how many students didn't proof-read their papers!). But then I let it go and just turned it in. But this guy was never content with his work. Always last to finish tests. Always hesitant to hand in the big essay. Never satisfied that the hours of work was quite good enough. For fear of failure.

Paul is telling us that even in failure, we should be content. Not because we failed, but because you will have the strength to face any condition which may befall you, as Christ gives you that strength.
You can be content in the dark times because with Christ, you know anything is possible and the good could come in the next moment.

Paul is writing in an encouraging tone to be satisfied with what we have. This does not mean, however, that we should be complacent. It doesn't mean that if you lose your job you have permission to sit idly by, doing nothing and saying you are content.

In your dream-chasing, follow-your-heart pathway there could be bumps, set-backs, sadness, disappointment, and failure. But there could also be lots of joy, beautiful moments, cherished times, incredible adventures, and pleasant surprises. 
Paul is saying that in all these situations, be content. Be content in the time that is given to you. You have the choice with what you do in that time. Trust that God will give you the strength you need in both good and tough unforeseen scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment