11 August 2011

Infinite Wisdom

Inside Magdalen College, Oxford, where C.S. Lewis lived and taught

For infinite wisdom does not need telling what is best, and infinite goodness needs no urging to do it.
"The Efficacy of Prayer", C.S. Lewis

My reading of C.S. Lewis' essay on prayer has opened my eyes to the fact that the power of prayer is at God's will. It seems so obvious, but we hardly think about that. Lewis has a marvelous way of stating something bluntly with a spiritual eloquence that gets you thinking deeply about what he is writing. We may pray for something that God chooses not to answer. Lewis reminds us of Jesus' prayers in the garden, three prayers, for God to take the cup away from him. But the cup was not taken away.

It's all for a greater purpose.

We may think we deserve certain things to take place, especially if we pray for it. We expect certain things to happen and get upset when our plans don't work. But we don't deserve anything, really.

I think about my own prayers, and the things I desire to happen, and yet they may not. I don't want to hope too fervently for things that may not happen. That requires me to give it all away to God, and let Him lead the way. Keeping trust that where I am lead is where I should be. But that also means I need to pay attention to the little signs and small doorways in front of me. While I wait for prayers to be answered (or not answered) I don't want to miss what God is trying to show me in the meantime, because though I may pray for certain things to happen, there is no guarantee they will. 

And yet somehow there is a joy in releasing those prayers to God, knowing they are out of my hands gives me comfort. My plans are flawed. God's are perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment