22 April 2013

Coffee & Scripture Time

I found this lovely Japanese mug at Goodwill last weekend, and I like it a lot. Essential coffee time in the morning with some Scripture. I have been reading through Ecclesiastes, which I finished this weekend and moved to Proverbs.

I realized that at different points in my life different books of Scripture speak to me as appropriate for that time. It's funny, because if you go to any bookstore, you will find aisle after aisle of self-help books on all sorts of subjects. But we only need one self-help book. The Bible. It's got the situations, the problems, the stories about all the things we deal with here. Sure, we may think modern stories might be helpful for us to read about, given the context of our ultra-technology-based lives that isn't referenced in Scripture. But there is always a deeper issue at stake in our souls that is much more than what our modern life looks like. At the core, we are the same as those who lived in the first era of Christianity. The same issues are recorded in the Bible that we go through each day.

Do you find that certain passages of Scripture are perfectly applicable now that did not seem to be before?

No comments:

Post a Comment