20 June 2013

Love of God

If nothing can separate us from the love of God then even in my most dreary moments when I feel completely alone I am not alone. God's love is there with me. Even when I am on the back-roads somewhere and nobody knows my location. Even then I am not separated from God's love. On trips that I take by myself, God is there along with me. His love is always next to me, or rather, inside of me. No storm, or distance, or change of situation will ever take God's love away from me.

Since the love of God is inside my heart, nothing can separate me from it. I need that reminder in this season of my life. I will need that in every season in some way or another. How do we find ways to think otherwise from what we know to be true?

With our broken words, we can speak praise to God. In our darkest moments we can turn our hearts and minds to Him. In our deepest worries, we can choose words of praise and release the worries. Our prayers are assaulted by all the negative thoughts that Satan wants us to focus on. But our prayers don't have to be full of fine words.

I am reading T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets, and it's amazing, to put it simply. His words reach deep into my soul like Rilke's (my favourite German poet). I am sure I will post about these poems in more detail, but the following excerpt was too good to not share right now:

Words strain,
Crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
Decay with imprecision, will not stay in place,
Will not stay still. Shrieking voices
Scolding, mocking, or merely chattering,
Always assail them.

'Burnt Norton', T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment