11 June 2013

Re-Reading Books

I have heard many people talk about how they love their e-readers because they can have many books on the device and can purchase books to read that they won't read again. I won't get into my argument for the real tangible books vs. the e-readers, but I think a lot of people who do not know me well wonder why I have so many books. They look at my shelves and shelves of books and ask if I re-read them.

Of course I do! I agree in entirety with C.S. Lewis who said that the best books should be enjoyed several times, and it is in the second or third reading that we actually enjoy the book more.

One such example of an author I cannot re-read too much is Jane Austen. While many are scared of her 19th century language that most think is above their reading capacity, it is a delightful challenge and if you read a bit slower you will appreciate the wit and humour in her stories. She was a master at writing her fiction tales based on what she knew best. Life, society, relationships, and manners. She changed literature!

Right now I am re-reading Sense and Sensibility (by Ms. Austen). I have read it at least twice before, but never have I enjoyed it as much as I am now. The more we read, the better readers we become. And when we challenge ourselves in our reading, the better readers we become. The second and third readings are not to learn about what happens (although I tend to pick up at a lot more minute details that I had missed previously), but to see the pieces fall into place from a new perspective. To slow down and appreciate the author's writing style and method of story-telling. To pay more attention to the details. These are the things that draw my attention on repeat readings.

Do you have any books that you re-read eagerly? Why do you enjoy re-reading it so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment