14 November 2013

He Holds the Wind


I would hurry to find shelter from the raging wind and tempest. - Psalm 55.8

He caused the east wind to blow in the heavens, and by his power he led out the south wind - Psalm 78.26


Isn't it interesting how the wind can make everything feel unsettled? I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't fall back to sleep, and it took me a few minutes to realize that what probably woke me up was a tree limb outside my window, which was scraping against my a/c unit, which amplified the noise in my otherwise silent bedroom. And my mind started going and when that happens at 3 AM and I am tired but cannot fall back to sleep, fears start creeping in. Fears that have never been there before. That somehow, the unsettled nature of the wind provides ample fodder for growth in the dark hours of the morning.


The wind scatters leaves and causes tree limbs to stretch beyond their norm. The sound of wind is a whistle or howl, or a combination of both, which is reminiscent of an alert sound that causes us to rise. But as unsettled as the blustery wind makes us, I take comfort in knowing that God created all the wind and has power over it. Wind is there for a reason, and nothing is too big, or too invisible for God. He holds the winds in the palm of His hands. And that proves to be a great comfort at 3 AM when sleep doesn't come back easily. But when I did recall this, it shed light on the situation, and soon I was talking to God with thanks and found myself quickly falling asleep....

No comments:

Post a Comment