27 December 2014

Daydreaming


When do we become adults and turn in our affinity to daydream? Is it when we graduate college? Is it when we get a job? Why do we let the world consume our mind and restrict it?

I am one who will not let go of daydreaming. Is it a result of not wanting to grow up? Perhaps, but in the sense that I want my imagination to expand beyond my small scope of the world. I want my ideas to roam and venture out. I want ideas to blossom into creation.

I have been letting my daydreams venture to distance lands. It is not that I am trying to escape from the present, but rather incorporate more of the imaginative in the everyday. When I do that, I find myself creating more. Creating poems, stories, ideas, gestures of kindness, and goodness to bring to the present.

I am reading one of my new books I got, which was neatly wrapped under the Christmas tree, and I read this passage yesterday. Of course she is referring to the White Queen in Alice in Wonderland, which is one of my favourite books for imagination and daydreaming.


Like the White Queen, I find it a good discipline to practice believing as many as seven impossible things every morning before breakfast. How dull the world would be if we limited ourselves to the possible.

The only God who seems to me to be worth believing in is impossible for mortal man to understand, and therefore he reaches us through this impossible.

- Madeleine L'Engle

No comments:

Post a Comment