09 December 2014

Never Lost at Sea


When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
For I will be with thee, they troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee they deepest distress.

- Robert Keene, 18th Century


Being in a place on unrest can make me feel lost at sea. I rack my brain and end up at You. The only real, true source of belonging. 

At times, my soul is so full and spilling over with You I cannot imagine isolation, and yet a few days later something shifts my mind to a place of unrest and I am left without a shore. A victim of the waves and left to fend for myself. How could I seize to see You? You are right there next to me in the boat and You are even leaving gentle reminder notes for me to remember my worth. But sometimes I am too focused to pay attention.

Read those notes. Hear the words. Do not worry. Do not fear. Remember that you are not alone at any point. Take in these thoughts and store them deep in your heart so they take root. Do not let the troubles and frustrations of the day (or days) lead you to feeling stranded or hopeless. None of us are ever left without hope. With You, the light is never dimmed, but I can notice that it is my sight that is darkened. I won't need to search endlessly for a shoreline because I was never lost at sea.

When I am in a place of unrest, help me find You, Lord, and focus on what is rooted deep within me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment