23 December 2014

Grace Upon Grace



For from His fullness
we have all received,
grace upon grace.

- John 1.16

Whenever I am feeling kind of empty I realize that I am longing to be filled by something more. More than what? There is something missing, as the hole inside cannot seem to grasp anything temporary here.
My longing is filled by His grace.

My soul longs for something that cannot be satisfied here. But many times it is the temporary things here that I try to fit into that spot. Nothing comes to fruition other than eventual disappointment.

It becomes clear that anything else I try to fit into my deep longing is unfulfilled because it is not eternal. Only that which is eternal can fill the longing. The temporal void otherwise lacks the essentials of my needs, even though our earthly needs can be filled for the most part. To some others in this world, that is all they trust in -- that their earthly needs are satisfied. But oh, there is so much more. And praise the Lord there is so much more!


Therein lies disappointment and lack of genuineness here on earth. A realness is hard to come by. But His grace makes what is lacking here bearable, and it also grants us the tiny glimpses of the eternal through the moments of joy and love with other people here. We are not left without some ideas and visions of the hope of what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment