30 December 2014

Garden Visit







The day after Christmas. The last place I wanted to go to was a store, where everyone is returning items and snatching up 50% sales. I imagined crowds and traffic everywhere. One errand I had to run, though, was to the post office. I prepared myself for a crowd and a line, with lots of people mailing packages they didn't get to mail just before Christmas.
I get to the post office (the large one downtown) and not a soul is in sight. It was deserted. I was shocked.

Since my post office excursion only took a few minutes, I decided to drive to Hollis Garden to see if it was open. It was, and it was empty. Another pleasant surprise!

I may need to keep up this tradition each year the day after Christmas. Going to the opposite places of everyone else. It was such a beautiful day, and still chilly in the shade. I shuffled my feet through fallen leaves as big as my head and slowly walked through the garden. I sat in my favourite spot, overlooking one of the open, green squares. I sat on a cold, stone bench and wrote in my journal.

There was a sense of Autumn in the air, with the nice chill, and also on the ground with the fallen leaves decorating the grass. But the sun was bright and warm. A large butterfly danced along the grassy square. Florida is a bit behind in the seasons, but I am okay if we are just at the beginning of the chilly seasons. I love the thought of more to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment