19 July 2012

Book of Hours

I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.

-Rainer Rilke (1875-1926)


How have I missed Rilke's Book of Hours before now? I am utterly astonished that I, being someone who loves to write as Rilke did, missed reading Rilke at all before this Spring when I picked up his Duino Elegies. I have no idea how this happened, but I am so thankful I have discovered him now. I picked up this book in Gainesville last week when my Mom and I stopped at the bookstore on our way out of town. Every poem in this book makes me sigh with longing that he writes about and the beauty of his words.

All creation holds its breath, listening within me,
because, to hear you, I keep silent.


I think this will quickly become one my favourite books of poetry. Rilke writes in short sentences (though the German is longer than the English translation), displaying in a few words a world of imagery and thought. His thoughts in words expand in my mind like an expanding balloon reaching my imagination and my soul. He leaves so much unspoken and yet says something so specific. Is that possible?

I am the dream you are dreaming
When you want to awaken, I am that wanting;
I grow strong in the beauty you behold.
And with the silence of stars I enfold
your cities made by time.


My words seem so shallow in comparison. These are the types of poems that swim laps through my mind for while. Deep. Thoughtful. Thought provoking. I don't forget it the moment I turn the page.

I look at the German on one side of each page and pick out the words I know, and I try to read the sentences. Then I wonder how the poems feel when read and understood fully in German. One day I will tell you...

I don't want to think a place for you.
Speak to me from everywhere.
Your Gospel can be comprehended
without looking for its source.

When I go toward you
it is with my whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment