16 July 2012

Opposite: A Reflection on Grace

How does it make sense that God loves us while we keep sinning? We are unlovable much of the time. We waver. We knowingly turn away from the right thing. We hurt others.

...but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more...
Romans 5.20


How do we deserve this kind of love and why would anyone choose to reject it? Well, we don't deserve such love, and all I know is I would be an absolute train wreck if I did not have God's grace holding me all the time. Still, I find a way to mess things up, but the grace is still there, and astonishingly, according to Romans 5, abounding all the more.

Abounding. That means "having in great numbers" or "plentiful". So that would tell me it is the perfect amount. Just enough and exactly what I need. In other words- God's grace is exactly what I need in the perfect amount that I need. Each time I mess up, He still provides in abundance.

Wait. What?

This is all so opposite of what we are taught in this world. Trying to learn the opposite of this world is not easy. It's hard to grasp the tiniest understanding of this love whilst surrounded by the elements of this world that do not reflect God's love. Writing about it is my way of trying to understand it. Thinking and reflecting through my words. How do you try to understand God's love?

No comments:

Post a Comment