11 July 2012

Lurking Creature

Like one that on a lonesome road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having one turn'd round, walks on,
And turn no more his head;
Because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge


I feel like sometimes I am being followed by a dark, lurking creature. At any moment it tries to cover me with its shadow. It brings those thoughts of fear, worry, and doubt. Sneaking those thoughts into my path so that I trip over them and scrap my knee.

It is surely true. Satan does follow me in many ways, trying to make me stumble however he can. He does the same to you. In some cases, it's a simple negative thought that I allow room to grow. Before I know it, that thought has expanded, taking up all the space that used to be filled with joyful thoughts. Shoved out by the negative, the joy fades quicker than I ever thought. Hopefully I snap out of it quickly and realize that it's really Satan trying to get to me. Once I realize that, I remember several passages from the Bible that speak about the spiritual struggle that goes on all day, every day. Satan doesn't rest.

1 Peter 5. 8-9 is what I thought of when I read this passage (above) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. (1 Peter 5.8-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment