07 January 2012

Cooking for One


My new apron Jason brought back from Haiti

I really enjoy cooking, but it is always a challenge because recipes usually make way too much for my huge crowd of one. So, I usually have to cut the recipe in half or tweak the ingredients. So, I tend to not measure everything. I'll just add a bunch of corn, or pour in some broth, or use a whole onion when the recipe calls for half an onion (who uses only half, I mean, really?). It is kind of fun and adventurous making my own version of a recipe I find. And usually, it turns out marvelously. The times it did not turn out marvelously, well, we can just pretend never happened.

Today I tried a new recipe: black bean & corn quinoa. Quinoa is pronounced keen-wa. This tasted absolutely delicious. I wouldn't be writing about it if it didn't!

I started with some olive oil in my new skillet (thanks to Ryan and Sam!) and added my chopped onion and a tablespoon of minced garlic (a garlic press is one of my new favorite things). Let that cook until the onion is brown. Sprinkle some Italian herbs and cumin. Pour in 3/4 (or 1 cup) cup rinsed and drained quinoa, and some salt. Stir for 5 minutes.
Add almost a full can of black beans, a good amount of frozen corn, and a can of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let cook for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is fluffy.
Drizzle with some fresh squeezed lime juice when serving. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment