03 January 2012

Puzzled?

Right before Christmas, I bought a little wooden puzzle cube called the Soma Cube. It is made up of 7 pieces and each piece is different. No two are the same, but there are many ways to fit the pieces together to form a cube. The instruction page says there are 240 ways in which to make a cube. Really? That's a lot!

I tested it myself. My first attempt took me about 5-6 minutes. It seems like it would be easy enough, but it is a challenge. I would get all pieces but one, and the last piece wouldn't complete the cube properly, so I would start over. We all love a good mystery, don't we? Well, the cube is mysterious, but now that I got it solved once, I can put the cube together (in different ways) in under a minute. But that first time was uncertain. Would the cube beat me? Would I be able to solve it?

I brought the cube home with me over Christmas to challenge my family. They all took their turn at putting the pieces together. It was so intriguing, to me, to watch how each person worked on solving the puzzle differently, and how it took certain people several days of trying to get it, while it took others a minute or two.

It all made me think about the mysteries of God, and why He chose to make us all so unique, even in the way we solve puzzles! I was reminded that our own puzzles in life are, likewise, handled differently. The mysteries in our lives attract our attention and sometimes it takes us a moment to solve it, while sometimes the mystery remains as such for months or years.

But there are many ways to put the puzzle together to form a complete cube. One way is not better than another, but in the end there is one cube.

In the end only one thing matters- that we live our lives for Christ. That our faith in Christ trumps all the mysteries we ever encounter. There are many paths to get to that point of complete trust, because we all have different ways of putting the puzzle pieces together. We place the piece in the spot we think it will fit best. Maybe it fits perfectly, or maybe we still need some more pieces to fall into place before we can see where that piece should go.

Then he added, "The question mark is a good metaphor for the Christian life. Trusting even when it's hard. Appreciating the mystery and being surprised by the joy." -Carolyn Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment